The first installation of our spotlight series features Elaine Uy talking everything from the most challenging and rewarding parts of her role to her favorite family tradition.
It’s no secret, Tapjoy’s biggest asset is our people! The Tap Into Our Team series spotlights the exceptional talent that makes us tick. Comprised of people with diverse backgrounds, cultures, skill sets and global perspectives; the Tapjoy team cultivates an innovative workspace while emphasizing support both inside and outside of the office.
Meet Elaine Uy, Engineering Manager here at Tapjoy. Elaine and her engineering team are largely responsible for 1st party and 3rd party ad creatives.
– What is your favorite thing about working out of the Boston office?
– Getting to bring my dog Tiger to work (he made the picture too)! Second to that, I love all the people who work here and how we come together to eat lunch each day. The long walk into Davis square, the large kitchen table and picnic tables, and all of our internal office events make the office feel like a community.
– What is one thing you wish people knew about your job?
– Often the hardest part of my job is not necessarily the technical challenge of writing code, but surprisingly the communication, clarification, and direction needed to make a piece of software have impact in the organization. We do this in one of two ways: by deepening understanding of how something works to our stakeholders, or by coordinating how a problem can be worked around faster and acceptably without a new release of code.
– What is the most rewarding part of your job?
– I am humbled every day by the hard work and brilliance my team exhibits. It’s really an honor to work with them, and I strive to be a leader that’s deserving of the people around me.
– What is the best example of leadership inclusion you’ve seen recently?
– The most significant and recent leadership action that invites inclusion is definitely the Boston bathroom updates to allow women better availability. Seriously life changing!
– What is your favorite family tradition, and who started it?
– On Christmas eve, we hold a board game “Olympics” where last year’s winner brings a prize. It started because my dad bought an extra external hard drive that he wanted to give away as a gift, but didn’t know who should get it. I ended up coming up with this strategy for giving away the gift, and we’ve continued ever since.
– If you were a crayon, what color would you be and why?
– Jazzberry Jam — because it also moonlighted as an engineering project name.
Interested in learning more about our team? Stay tuned for the next installment of the Tap Into Our Team series!